Monday, March 17, 2014

Organize 2014: January

I have been wanting to write a post for a while, but rather than bore you with my Shelley-like turmoils, I thought I would tell you about my 2014 Resolution.

(Why do I feel the need to blog? I'm not sure, but I decided to stop fighting it)


I used to be a document controller, which meant that I got to fight with engineers about organization systems. It was riveting work. Since I quit to become the full time mom to Scrunchy, I realized my own home is, well, not quite in chaos...probably not close to chaos, even, but still it bothered me.

No, I'm not obsessive compulsive.

No, you aren't either.

Obsessive compulsion is a disorder, and while some of you may like to be organized and are bothered by mess, that doesn't mean you have OCD. Obsessive compulsives tend to have dried-out hands from being washed too much, and can't sleep at night because the bedroom door frame is slightly crooked.

For another thing, you cannot be OCD. You can have OCD, but unless you are the disorder yourself, stop claiming to "be so OCD, lol." It's annoying.

Back to my resolution.

For January, I decided to organize my important documents in a filing container that I can grab on my way out the door when my house bursts into flames. After my child. Scrunchy comes first, then the important documents. I went out and bought a container from the thrift store, only to realize we already owned one. Sigh... $2 for naught... Anyway, it only took me a couple of hours, and made me feel better about life:

See the beautifully organized files? Me neither. They aren't alphabetized, but they work. Yay for one resolution down!

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Why thank you for addressing the OCD crowd. I have probably made such silly claims in my life, so I can't be too hard on said crowd... However, it would be simply awful to have OCD - it is indeed a mental disorder, why would anyone want to claim that?

Good plan on the document box! I didn't have one when my house nearly burnt down, and that would have been rather a pain to reconstruct old tax info, etc.