Monday, March 17, 2014

Organize 2014: February

I was raised by a Home Ec teacher. I learned to like sewing, cooking, needlework, grocery shopping, and, you know, other home economics things.

But not cleaning. My mom is the domestic goddess of all things home economical, but I think she secretly longs for a maid to do all the dirt removal.

So how does one clean? I asked my lovely MOPs mentors this question, and they came back with great advice - divide the work and it won't be so overwhelming.

So for my February organization goal, I created a cleaning schedule that I follow faithfully as best as I can throughout the week. It goes like this:

Monday - Dust and clean the windows/mirrors day
Tuesday - Floor day
Wednesday - Random cleaning day
Thursday - Bathroom day
Friday - Grocery shopping/I'm off the hook for cleaning day

Every day I have mini goals, which are as follows:

-Make the bed
-10 minute pick-up
-Laundry
-Have sink empty and counters wiped by the end of the day

Floor day is tedious and extremely necessary. I get so many puke-splotches on my tile during the week that you would think we live on carnival grounds. (Did you know that baby spit up is called positing and not vomiting? Ah, the education of motherhood).

I actually look forward to random cleaning day - that's the day I clean something that doesn't normally get cleaned, and could be just something that I noticed looked disgusting lately. If I'm tired I'll just clean Scrunchy's toys and feel satisfied with that.

If I had bigger problems with laundry, I would make a day of that too, but I don't usually have a problem remembering to transfer and fold it. It's a gift...

On the laundry note though, I'm going to have to do a lot of it now because I realized I was ruining my son with laundry detergent. He's had dry skin since he was born, and I thought I tried everything to get rid of it. I had oiled him with coconut, olives, organic nonsense, and changed the detergent three times. This week I noticed that his diaper area was the only place that didn't have the rash, so I washed his clothes in the diaper detergent to see if that would help (he is cloth diapered). It did. Now to wash every article he owns...

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Reese, you have discovered my favourite way of cleaning (the office, anyway - in my home I sometimes just go to town and clean the kitchen, floors, and bathroom at all once, and then I put off dusting my bedroom).

I have to clean my kitchen floor once a day, or every other day, I don't know how often it would be if I had posit to deal with.

Glad to hear you figured out the little man's dry skin problem! No more dousing him in oil!