Saturday, March 3, 2012

Bierochs


I'm trying to post brilliant things here, and Garrett said these were brilliant. These are German hamburger rolls, and/or, hamburgers disguised as rolls. The point is, they are good, and freeze well, and Garrett loves them, so I end up making them semi-frequently. Recipe follows.

Bieroch Recipe

Dough portion:

2 C Scalded Milk
1 C warm water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 C Shortening
2 eggs
2 Tbs yeast
8-10 C flour

(This recipe was given to me by my grandmother and doesn't have instructions, but this is how I made them).

Scald milk while proofing yeast in the warm water and sugar. Mix the flour, salt, and shortening in a separate bowl; add the scalded milk to the flour mixture. Mix. Add eggs and yeast mixture to floury goo, mix until incorporated, then knead. Knead until dough is elastic, then cover and let rise until doubled. Prepare meat filling.

Meat Filling:

1 lb ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
4 oz shredded cheese (we prefer swiss)

Brown meat with chopped onion in frying pan. Let cool until it wouldn't burn you if you accidentally touched it.

When dough has risen, you can punch it down and let it rise again, or you can start pinching off tennis-ball sized lumps. Flatten the lumps with a rolling pin. Make a small pile of shredded cheese in the middle of the flattened dough, and put ground beef/onion mixture on top. Bring up the sides of the dough-disk and pinch together, so it makes a roll. Do this until you run out of meat or dough (unless you are lucky or scientific and have exactly the right amount).

Bake bierochs at 350 degrees until browning on top. They should be a nice golden color.

Das ist es! (Garrett translated "Voila!" for me)

I hope you enjoy them.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

My mother used to make a vegetarian version of these. She always froze them too. :)

Johanna said...

These look yummy! Maybe one of these days I will have people over so I can have an excuse to make them. :)